But we did something great - we went to Mt. Vernon - about 14 miles out of DC. Was a beautiful drive.
from http://www.mountvernon.org "Mount Vernon has been owned and operated by a private non-profit organization, the Mount Vernon Ladies' Association, since 1858. Mount Vernon accepts no government support and is maintained entirely by fees from admission tickets, retail and food sales, and donations from patriotic Americans." I guess we're not very patriotic - we didn't make a donation, but we did buy tickets, and food and souvenirs...
In the visitor's center there's this great statue of the Washingtons with two of their grand children - they look like such nice people - you just have to hug 'em...

I love this - doesn't it look like Martha's trying to get in the shot...

Washington's Mt. Vernon


View of "front yard" from the road to the house



View of the Potomac from the back porch


The Upper Garden and the Green House



Hmmmmm - I think we need to go back in the Spring! This wall poster is in the gift shop/food court area (this was the last shot I took on the trip)

The Gardener's House

I want what George wants...

And this is my Man! I think I did pretty good - I have a man who knows how to labour hard anyway - in fact, I think he is labouring in the picture - using his favorite tool the Blackberry - oh no, he's just trying to take a picture of the sign

Work houses for the farm and family

The path to the Washingtons' tomb



There is a docent at the tomb - she hands out red carnations to place at the tomb (then she gathers them all up during a slow time and hands them out again)



Path leading back to the visitor's center

Very picturesque - Mt. Vernon has a lot of farmland (cows were Claire's last shot of the trip)

There's a great little food court at Mt. Vernon - this is where we had our last meal

We had a layover in Denver - we were there about an hour waiting our turn for de-icing (This was Evan's last shot of the trip)

Oh yah - we had peanuts, crackers and cookies for dinner.
2 comments:
What a great trip!!!! I really liked seeing the last pictures you took. FUN!
Peanuts, cracker and cookies...can't go wrong with those. When you were at Mt. Vernon, did you try to kidnap the President??
Post a Comment