Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Hot Chocolate Talk

"What Christmas songs do you love the most?" Blog amongst yourselves...

What brings back memories? What are your new favorites? What makes you verklempt?"

As for me - Gotta love Barbara! It's not Christmas without her! "Jingle bell, jingle bell, jingle all the way..." no breathing allowed during this song.

Andy Williams is also a must for me.

Amy Grant makes beautiful Christmas music.
"Grown up Christmas List" (her's was the first I'd heard of this song)
"Breath of Heaven"
"Heirlooms"
"A Christmas to Remember"
"Christmas Lullaby"
"The Night before Christmas - "...but you don't have to be an angel to sing harmony. You don't have to be a child to love the mystery and you don't have to be a wise man on bended knee. The heart of this Christmas is in you and me..."
I could go on and on with Ms. Grant - I love her music (plus I think she's an alto, thus it is easier for me to sing with her music...)

Carpenters! (another alto!) "Happy Holidaaaaaays....."

Love the soundtrack from "Elf"

Relient K - "12 Days of Christmas" This is on a "NOW that's what I call Christmas" CD - it's rockin' - and some screaming which I don't like but it's fun and crazy and reminds me of my crazy rockin' garage band kids.
"...what's a partridge? and what's a pear tree? I don't know so please don't ask me
but I can bet they are terrable gifts to get.."

MoTab - everything - beautiful - and even fun - such as the 12 Days of Christmas "A Musicalogical Journey Through the Twelve Days of Christmas" each day representing another genre of music through time i.e. On the first day of Christmas...is a Gregorian chant and the last verse is played out in the grandiosity of a Sousa march!

And Josh Groban! I waited and waited and finally he came out with a great album and I was not disappointed. It was an instant favorite.
"Angels we have heard on High"
"Noel"
"Thankful"

You can see, I have lots of favorites. Music is such an important part of my Christmas. I will always cherish my memories of singing with my family - caroling to friends, riding to Sacramento, standing around the piano. I still sing those harmonies. They are a part of me.

Happy holiday listening and singing and harmonizing...

Love you all.

4 comments:

Sandy said...

You forgot the Messiah. It probably takes on a whole new appreciation if you have sung with a choir before, but I just love the Messiah.
I need the name of Josh's album so I get the right one.
I love Michael Crawford's Christmas album. I listen to him every night while I do the dishes. All my MoTAb are on cassette and Now I have no cassette player. I miss them.

Kathy said...

You are absolutely right about the Messiah!

Josh's album is called "Noel"

Julie J. said...

I totally blogged about this too - at your suggestion - and you hit on all of the ones I mentioned. It will post tomorrow, but wouldn't it have been great if we had posted on the same day? I agree, Christmas music is so important to my celebration. Great Post!

Becky said...

This makes me realize that I need more Christmas music. I LOVE that Barbara Jingle Bells song! "Upsot?" What is upsot anyway? I don't know but I think I like it!

I too love the Elf sound track.

And when I read the post, I also was thinking you forgot the Messiah...but, my mom and you beat me too it.

I have more to say, but I think I'll hold off and use it as a blog post....since I have 21 still to go!