Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentine's Day!

It was 25 years ago today that Greg and I went on our first date - alone.

Our real first date had been 9 days before with friends who had told Greg to ask me out. I had met Greg before, so it wasn't quite a blind date.

The friends who brought us together were a friend of mine, Kristen, and her boy friend, Richard, who had been one of Greg's mission companions in Kentucky.

Greg and I had met about a year early - while with these friends. We were at BYU - was a Tuesday - how do I know that? Because Kristen and I were waiting for Richard to go to a devotional. Devotionals are always on Tuesdays. Richard showed up with his friend Greg. This was not intentional, they were not trying to set us up. I had a boyfriend I'd been dating for quite awhile - Kristen and Richard knew this. We all went over to the Marriott Center. We were late, the seating was limited - I think it was Paul H. Dunn. Richard and Kristen ended up sitting somewhere else. Greg and I sat together. I remember being very self conscious about this - worried my boy friend (who was working at the MTC) would some how find out that I'd been with this other guy. Anyway - no big deal especially since I wasn't really "with" Greg.

So - forward to a year later - I had broken up with the boy friend several months before. Richard and Kristen gave Greg the push. He thought I had the boy friend and wondered what took them so long to tell him I was in the dating scene. They told him they were waiting for me to get happy again. Funny.

So - the real first date - we went to a movie, "The River." We had milk shakes afterward. I remember the location but I don't remember the name of the place. It has changed names several times. Our friends were kind of having a tiff, so was an awkward night. In a most uncharacteristic move, when Greg took me home I told him to ask me out again - to give it a second try. He did.

Greg had no classes Friday to Monday. He often went home to Tremonton for the weekend. So, we dated Tues and Thursdays. I do not know how it was he/we picked Valentine's Day as our 2nd date (1st date alone remember) but I know the first date was on a Tuesday and the Valentine date was on a Thursday over a week later.

We went to dinner - Marie Callendar's. I had a Frisco burger. That is what I always have when I go to Marie Callendar's - it's been one of my favorites since I was in high school. I'm not sure that's what Greg had. But when we go to Marie Callendar's now, he almost always has a Frisco as well.

So - there you go. My first Valentine's with my Gregory.

OK - now Greg's version:

Richard and he were the ones waiting that devotional morning. They were waiting, near the tree of life. Kristen and I were on our way up from the Richard's building from one of our PE classes - maybe tennis. Greg remembers my long blond hair and that I was from San Jose - the best - a CA girl.

He remembers asking Kristen about me after the devotional. And Kristen saying that Kathy has a boyfriend. Greg asked "What kind of a boyfriend?" Kristen said "A serious boyfriend." So he wrote me off. Like a bad debt.

Almost a year later, Greg was at Kristen's apartment with Richard. A guy called to see how her roommates thought his date with me went. Kristen then said "Greg you should take Kathy out." And Greg said "Kathy from the devotional? I thought she had a serious boyfriend." Kristen said "They broke up." Greg asked "Why didn't you tell me?" She said "You really wouldn't have wanted to go out with her last Fall." She told Greg to call me and also said that she would call me to tell me to say yes when Greg called.

So that's when Kathy's life changed forever for the better.

And Greg's too.

What is a memorable Valentine's Day for you?

4 comments:

Eric the Man said...

Holy cow claire, ridiculous!!! Mom, were you watching her when she was doing this? I'm sure you would have killed me if you caught me playing with the whipped cream.

TMB said...

I love it! I think that was your best blog yet. :) I can not believe you remember all the details, down to the burger you ate at Marie Calendars. I need to tell my mom and Kait to read this one. :)

Becky said...

How awesome! You have a great way of relating your memories! I love it!

A memorable Valentine's?

Most of my friends in high school where boys. One Valentine's day, I think it was the one after I turned 16 they all (without each other knowing) did various kind/romantic things for me.Poems, necklaces, cards, candy, etc. That year I got asked to be 5 boys' Valentine!

I didn't want to choose nor did I want to be a "girlfriend" to any of them at the time so, I said thank you to each of them...but, nothing more.

Everything went on like none of them had confessed their love to me. I felt special on Valentine's day but, I was so grateful it didn't change anything.

I think if I would have "chosen" one the others would have been hurt...I don't think I thought of that back then...so I'm glad it turned out the way it did.

I've had great V-days with Nathan...that crazy one was just the most memorable.

Kathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.