Thursday, March 11, 2010

What would you do if...?

Do you play the "What would you do if...?" game at your house?

I guess it's not really a game - but it is something we hear a lot here. Evan has been asking these questions since he was a little boy. It's the worrier in him coming out. One of the most memorable questions when he was little - he and I were riding a ski lift up snowy slopes and he asked "What would you do if I fell off...?" he was serious, he needed an answer. I told him he'd probably be OK since it really wasn't very high and the snow would cushion him and as soon as I could I would alert ski patrol what had happened and we'd go get him and pick him up. I answered in the most calm of voices. Questions like that continued for years and years. Now they have just turned absurd and usually with some gruesome detail. My answers are usually something like "I'd start screaming?" or "We'd take you to a psychologist."

So - here are some of the questions of late (Claire likes to get in on the act as well, and I guess I do it too now)

What would you do if...
Claire while at the airport - "...you saw two dogs and a cat running across the tarmac?" (we'd just seen Homeward Bound a few days before)
Claire - "...I sang a solo in church and did horrible? Would I get the special plate?"
Evan - "...I cut my finger and started chewing on it and I *liked* it?" (that has been a running theme - appendages coming off, Evan eating them and liking it)
Evan - "...I had built a stargate and kept it under my bed and while you were watching Stargate I popped out of the stargate on screen?"

The other day, Evan and I went to Office Depot and the car we pulled up to had two flat tires on the right side of the car. Big Bummer! Evan saw that and said "Do you think someone slashed their tires?" We didn't know, we didn't inspect. But there was a note on the windshield. Evan wanted to look at it. I said we should not touch the car. So we went on our way.

Evan - "What would you do if the note was a chain letter saying you have to slash two tires of a car or you'll die? Pass the note along."

Now he's saying "What would you do if I had Alzheimer's?" and he has asked me 4 times.

Yah - the fun never stops!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good times!! The whole cutting off the finger and eating it what if...gross, but so funny!! I can't wait until Maya can ask questions like that.

Becky said...

Active minds want to know! Or need to know. Chewing on appendages.....ew! And yet in a hypothetical way, hilarious!

One day a few weeks ago I was getting dinner ready when I almost cut my finger with a big knife. I stopped the motion before I got cut at all but the angle of the knife made me think, "dang! What if I just cut my finger off. What would I do with Marley and Rebekah? Would I, should I call 911?" I thought of a whole plan...it was crazy how my mind when crazy starting with "what if."

I love playing that game "Which would you rather." There is an actual game but I think it's fun to just take turns thinking of the choices. You think of two equally good, bad, gruesome, uncomfortable, hilarious, lucky, etc. scenarios then everyone has to say which one they would choose. It also get's pretty gruesome. Especially if you play with my dad. One time he asked, "Which would you rather, be hung upside down with a bag full of rats on your head or...." I can't even remember the second choice because the first one sounded so horrendous but, it had to have been equally torturous. That game is the best when you have NOTHING else to do and you need to pass the time.

Kathy said...

Too funny - "which would you rather" sounds like game for us.

The Wells said...

I think I would rather "what would you do if..." instead of "why". That is the game we play most often.

Julie J. said...

Hilarious! I wish Sam would pose interesting questions like that.