Saturday, November 14, 2009

Yay - the last one!

Evan did his Eagle Project on Saturday - repainting the map of the United States on the Noddin Elementary School black top - it is our neighborhood school. We were worried about weather. It was a very cloudy morning and as Greg and I left for the temple with the ward I wondered if he'd have to postpone. It rained on us on our way up to Oakland, but San Jose was dry when we left - just looked worrisome. When we got out of the temple it was beautiful but as we came closer to San Jose it was cloudy and dark. It was noon and Evan was scheduled to set up at that time, work was to begin at 1:00. He kept asking what he should do. We kept telling him he needed to decide. I did not have much faith that it wouldn't at least drizzle making the ground too wet to work on. It really did look like it was ready to rain on us. Greg looked at his handi dandy Iphone current weather update and the phone said - "No rain today." So Evan loaded up and off he went. Within 30 minutes or so it totally cleared up - not a cloud in the sky - not for the rest of the day and the temperature was even pleasant. Granted it is San Jose and it usually is pleasant this time of year but the paint needed to dry! You'll see why.

So - here we go - Evan's Eagle Project... and famous quotes from the day

Before picture

Evan, to every suggestion anyone made (in the tone of a whining little kid): "I'm in charge." He said it for laughs, and we did laugh.
Everyone: "What can I do..."
Evan: "Don't back sass me Claire."

Claire: "Is it time to paint Utah yet?"

Everyone: "Where are the doughnuts?" Evan: "I brought fruit - it's better for you."

Kathy to Claire: "Don't get paint on my cell phone."
Probably everyone: "Oops!"


Evan: "I like it. It looks kind of whimsical"



Evan: "It's finished!"


We are so proud of Evan for accomplishing this goal. Just as we were finishing he said "It's all done! I feel so good!" I said "It's been weighing on you your whole life!" and he agreed. He's so happy. He's a new man.

He and neighbor friend Brian sat out by the map with pizza in hand until it grew dark. He took the caution tape down Sunday night after dark. He said there were foot prints on Alaska. We find that funny because the caution tape "protected" only part of Alaska. I can just imagine some stubborn kid going "well the tape doesn't cover this spot..." stomp, stomp, stomp...

2 comments:

Sandy said...

It looks wonderful Evan. I wish I could have been there to help.

TMB said...

Go EVAN!! If I had been upto date reading your blog I wouldn't have played 20 questions at Thanksgiving Dinner. :) The map looks amazing, Evan you have skills. Congratulations on accomplishing your goal.

We loved spending time with you this past weekend. Thanks for playing with Bryn Claire! Also, enjoyed listening to "Life of Eric at BYU" and riding in Eric's new car.