Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Christmas Puzzle

This is not a standing tradition but sometimes we get ourselves (myselves) a holiday puzzle or two - one for passing pre Christmas time and one for after Christmas before the New Year, to finish New Years Eve or around then. This year I saw these really fun looking Folk Art puzzles. They were being sold at Costco - two in a bag. There was an assortment. I picked a Christmas scene and a San Francisco scene. Generally, I would wait to pull the puzzles out until the kids are out of school but this past Monday I was so bummed to find out that my missionary son may not get any of his Christmas packages until January! that I just wanted to do something simple. The Christmas puzzle won - it is a snowy village scene with lots of elaborately decorated Christmas trees.

So - I pull out the edges, and as I'm putting them together I notice one tree has "Ute" decorations on it. I wondered to myself "Are there other colleges that refer to themselves as Utes?" Ah Ha - on the other side of the puzzle I come upon a piece with a "blue U". I grab the box, to look closer - This is a Utah scene! Maybe Park City? Duh. A totally fun puzzle!

Ever heard of Eric Dowdle? He's the artist. This is his "Festival of Trees"


See the Ute Tree? We think there's a missionary bear on the "Bear Tree." Or are they Gingerbread cookies? We don't know...


On to BYU.


Is that a proposal going on near the "Family Tree"?


Look at the skiers!


Love the Savior.


Happy Day to everyone.

5 comments:

Julie J. said...

FUN!!! Dowdle is a name around here. He sponsors a gingerbread tree fest thing for the BSA every year. And I see his puzzles everywhere. I think we did one of downtown Salt Lake City a few years back.
It is my dream to one day own a cabin and in the cabin there will be a table in the main living area, just and strictly for the purpose of doing puzzles on. And there will always be a puzzle there to work on. No pressure to finish, it's always there. Then when we do finish one we will have another puzzle lined up to start.
I love doing puzzles but rarely do because I don't have a place to do it and leave it and come back to.

Julie J. said...

Also, I'm pretty sure Dowdle hides his family, in gingerbread form in all his paintings. Look for some.

Becky said...

How fun! What a fun and simple surprise!

I love puzzles too...but, I do like to do them leasurely, come and go and it's hard when there's no room. A cabin sounds like a good idea.

That really is such a cute puzzle, I'm glad you shared it!

Sandy said...

Well, this is a New Year's tradition that I remember. Mom always got a jig saw puzzle out for New Years Eve and I can remember sitting at the table and doing the puzzle and eating fudge logs and just slicing off a little bit at a time hoping no one could tell how much I was eating. I loved the walnuts. Now I have two walnut trees in my year.
Our new tradition is husking and cracking walnuts.
And yes, Bruce is very well acquainted with Eric Dowdle

Kathy said...

I am recalling New Year's puzzles with my mom. yeah. And Sandy - do you remember the one year, or day, or whatever - I think it was over the holiday - that you and I did a mystery puzzle? Remember that? We spent an entire day putting it together - it was a crime scene with all the clues to solve the crime in the picture - yes? Or was there a story that went along with it? I don't know - but I do remember it was fun and cozy and we ate egg salad sandwiches.