Claire's birthday was Thursday, June 14. She turned 18. She spent time on Wednesday the 13th asking around what she should do on her birthday since she'd be "legal" to do certain things. Two things that came to mind were to buy spray paint - she thought it would be fun for her and friends to paint shirts. She didn't end up doing that. Another thing, which I didn't know and am still surprised this is so, she could buy a gold fish. Did you know that in some stores - in San Jose anyway - you must be at least 18 to buy a gold fish? She ended up buying a goldfish yesterday, Saturday. She also bought a little tank with a filter. She named her goldfish Kevin. I asked her who was going to take care of Kevin when she went to college. She explained that Greg and I would want to take care of him because we would be so lonely for her.
Here is happy Claire with Kevin.

Today, Sunday, Kevin died.
Claire posted about this on facebook. Her response to one of the comments was that the pet store people told her that if she bought a bigger tank he'd live longer. She didn't buy the bigger tank but she didn't know he was going to die the next day if she didn't!

RIP Kevin.
Tomorrow she buys a Betta.
2 comments:
I had two goldfish back when I was probably 13-15, Fred and Barney. Fred was big and Barney was small. I couldn't believe that they lived for SO long. I think I celebrated when they died. According to Claire, taking care of goldfish might reflect parenting skills....totally different :-)!!!! Gotta love being 18!!! If goldfish are a go at 18, just think what awaits you at 21....hamsters!!!!!
Poor Kevin. Poor Claire. 18!!! What!?!
Post a Comment