
This is a Three Sisters Garden - or grouping or companion planting - whatever you want to call it. It is corn, beans and squash. Each plant is supposed to offer something for the others. So the corn offers support for pole beans, the beans offer nitrogen for the other plants and squash provides shade to be a sort of mulch for the other two.
I've tried to grow this garden twice before. Each time, I planted the corn and beans at the same time and the beans over took the corn and pulled it down. This year after doing a little more research I decided to let the corn get a good head start before planting the beans. But it took forever for the corn to grow. I think it was because it was coolish here. I let it grow to about 12 inches but I think the beans are going to do it again - over take the corn and pull it down. The squash, having to wait for the others to get going is looking very small for this time of season, for CA anyway - but hopefully it will do its job.
I'll keep you posted ;-)
3 comments:
I want a garden now!
Nathan so wants a garden so bad! I'll have to show him this post. He took a few classes that took time to focus on such things as Three Sisters Gardens....well, things slightly similar. Anyway, he will find your garden very fascinating.
I have never heard of this.
We already have two little green tomatoes and tons of strawberries. Our basil is thriving because my friend told me to go out and pluck random leaves every once in a while and it makes the plant more bushy. Also we had a beautiful squash plant that Allynn sprouted and gave to us and it mysteriously disappeared, without a trace. We have no idea where it went. Our pepper plants arene't looking too hot. I'm scared for them. I really wanted to make more Jalapeno Jelly this year.
Post a Comment