Monday, October 3, 2011

She Did It!!

Claire donated blood for the first time today! - you can probably tell by the look on her face and the assortment of stickers on her sweatshirt.



For those of you who may not know this - Claire doesn't like needles nor blood. So why she did this is beyond me. Except, that a friend of hers in Leadership told her last week that she had signed Claire up for an 11:00 slot. I kept telling Claire not to do it. She cringes during diabetes blood tester commercials.



Her report - "I started crying when they pricked my finger. Meagan [Leadership friend who signed her up] wiped away my tears." I asked if she cried while she donated and she said she was teary pretty much through the whole process, from the screening to the end.

Will she donate again? She doesn't know. And right now she's telling me that the only reason she was crying was because she knew she was saving four lives.

Yeah - right.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Go Claire!

I can't donate blood. The Red Cross sent me a letter asking me NOT to try and donate anymore. My veins are too small. They have to dig around just to find the vein. It takes at LEAST two people to find the vein because one person can only poke you three times before they have to find someone else to try...then that person gets three tries. Then IF they find a vein it's just too small to get enough blood out. For normal people it takes about 10 minutes to get 1 pint and after 45 minutes I don't even have 1/2 a pint. And they can't draw blood for very long so they never get a full pint and if they don't get a full pint they can't use the blood. So, basically they told me not to bother.

So, donating blood is like a super power to me! I wish I could save lives...but that's just not my super power. ;o)

Julie J. said...

I LOVE to donate blood. Saving lives is the best!
You GO Claire!
BOOYAAH