Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sin vs Transgression

Some of what I learned about today in Sunday School was sin vs transgression. I have heard this explained in many ways and maybe it has clicked with me before but today it clicked (again) and seems clearer. Obviously, I feel I haven't understood the difference. I have a better grasp.

The teacher asked "What is the difference between sin and transgression?"
Our goto gal for doctrinal questions, veteran seminary teacher of nearly 15 years had an answer.

This is an example she used to explain.

Crossing the street is not a sin. But we instruct our little children not to cross the street because they don't have the experience or knowledge they need to cross the street safely.

For some reason - this totally helps me.

My follow up ideas - I guess I always get caught in the idea that God told Adam and Eve not to partake of the fruit. That sounds like a commandment to me. But it is not one of God's commandments to not partake of the fruit. He told Adam and Eve not to do it - like a father tells a child don't cross the street. Then you hope they don't until they're ready to do it safely. Of course, Heavenly Father has perfect knowledge - He doesn't need to hope. More of what we talked about today was that we don't know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden before Eve finally decided - I'm doin' it. They walked and talked with God - but the choice was always theirs.

3 comments:

Julie J. said...

I have wondered before if God was contradicting himself when he said to multiply, but don't eat the fruit, and they needed to eat the fruit to multiply... They had to eat the fruit to progess. It makes perfect sense to me that The Father would plan for them to progress through choice and accountability. After all, that's His plan, that we get to choose and not be forced.
On a different note:
Last week was busy and draining. I didn't get to check blogs. I'm caught up now and I like your posts. I think you are doing an awesome job, posting every day. I'll be commenting more often.

TMB said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing, I will use the analogy in Sunday school next week when the question comes up again!

TMB said...

I didn't realize you had been posting everyday in January, I have a lot of catching up to do! It was a busy month. :) Exciting!