I had lunch with Dr Oz the other day. I generally don't watch any of the "doctor" shows, but as I flipped through channels, to find something to keep me company while I ate my Healthy Choice soup, I heard something about "large behind women and large belly women..." It caught my attention so I tuned in for a bit.
There is a difference between fat stored on our backsides than fat stored on our middles - has to do with subcutaneous and visceral fat. Fat on our behind is subcutaneous - under the skin. Belly fat is often visceral meaning it surrounds our organs. Each means something different to our health. Down side of the fat behind - it is hard to lose - but the upside is it is not as much a health threat. Visceral fat is easier to lose but it is very unhealthy.
Why are we storing this belly fat? As always eating and exercise habits make a difference in how much fat we store. If we eat more than we burn, we'll store fat. Menopause is a big contributor as well. Stress. Stress is messin' us up.
Oz explained that stress is a huge factor in storing belly fat. Our bodies are wired to do so. Our "ancestors", in times of stress, needed to store fat. Stress hormone was released telling the body to store fat around our vital organs for survival through hard times. (hormone - thus why things rev up during menopause)
There was other info shared, healthy and fat covered intestines handled (was so weird looking), and how to dress our big behinds or big bellies demonstrated. I changed the channel around this time.
Today I am wondering "Why, if we don't have the stressful situations of our "ancestors" to live through, do we store fat in excess like we do?" I'm sure you can answer the question yourself, but I did a little search. The answer is simple. Our stress response has never changed but some of us live in a more constant state of stress.
What is stressing us out? What could be more stressful than worrying about where to get our next meal or running away from something that might eat us?! We live in safety and seems we have plenty to eat. But really, what is stressing us out?! Not having to chase our food is causing our bodies stress. Kind of ironic. And because we eat so much we stress ourselves by worrying about how much we eat and the belly fat it causes. Isn't is crazy that we've allowed our lives of ease to actually increase our stress - or decrease our ability to deal with stress? There is so much more to blah, blah, blah about in regards to stress. It is havoc on our bodies! What are we going to do about all this stress that makes us unhealthy?!
Does this stress you out?
Sorry.
2 comments:
That doesn't stress me out...at least not right now since most of my belly fat has to do with gestation. Ha!
But since I turned 30 even the though of exercise stresses me out. Not going for walks...even long walks are nice. But running or doing an exercise routine, video, etc. ick! Gonna have to find a way to get over that next Spring/Summer.
Interesting things to think about. I definitely think our bodies are meant to work physically, and our ancestors used to do it through hunting, farming, chopping woods, etc. Now we have to "create" work for our bodies through exercise - so there's twice as much to do. Totally makes sense that it is stressful.
Interesting how all the efforts put into making life easier is kind of making life harder. Only in a different way.
Post a Comment