Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Tradition

From the time I was 5 ('68) to the time I was 17 ('80) I had Thanksgiving at my house. My parents hosted Thanksgiving for both sides of the family every year. It was a huge group - nearly 50 give or take 9 or 10 if Peterson cousins came or not . As the years went by the group got bigger as cousins married and continued to come down to San Jose (most of our extended family lived in Sacramento). And then the number began to dwindle as cousins had their own kids and split their time between their in-laws.

I should admit that I really don't know how many years we hosted Thanksgiving at our house. I recall having Thanksgiving in Sacramento because my mom had recently had surgery. That afternoon some of the cousins went to Star Wars - I think it was the first one. Regardless, there were several years of Thanksgivings at my house.

I know it was about family. I'm pretty sure my parents did what they did because they didn't want to have to choose between their two families. It was also about food because my mom made the same things every year - and I'm sure the sides and desserts were the same - people expected them.

My mom did turkey, potatoes, stuffing, cranberry salad and rolls - her rolls were famous in the family. Everyone else brought sides and desserts. The dough for the rolls was made in a big ceramic bowl - I think it was yellow - she'd cover it with a very thin white dishtowel (we had things that lasted forever) and put the bowl on top of the freezer in the garage for the dough to rise. She'd visit the day old bread shop and buy a bunch of loaves of bread. I only remember doing this once but Ed and I sat in the family room watching TV while tearing the bread into pieces. I seem to recall pealing potatoes in front of the TV once as well. The cranberry salad was frozen. She'd make it ahead of time. She'd grind everything with this hand crank grinder that she'd clamp to the wood cutting board that pulled out from under the countertop. The turkey would cook all night long it seems. I remember waking up very early one Thanksgiving, not feeling well - and my mom was in the kitchen checking on the turkey - it was dark outside - i don't know but I wonder if she ever went to sleep.

My dad would always prune our Fruitless Mulberry tree on Thanksgiving morning. Funny he did but he did.

The house was always set up the same way. The kitchen was the buffet area - the peninsula and the table were covered with all of the food. The family room had football games playing all day. I don't remember my dad being very much into sports but I had cousins who were very interested in the games. They'd eat in there. The dining room table was stretched to full length - the piano bench for two to sit on was always placed at the end of the table nearest the piano :-) the dining room opened to the living room - there was at least one more table in there that was stretched to its limits - it was a beautiful table that served as a lamp/side table all the rest of the year. There was a fabulous little wood picnic table with benches attached - it would get covered with a table cloth and serve as seating for a few little people. (Nancy has the table now). There must have been a cart table or two we ate at in the living room as well - maybe not but seems there was. And for sure there was a cart table that was set up in the living room right by the kitchen door covered in appetizers - cheese and crackers, chips and dips and some veges as well as soda.

On my father's side of the family I am the youngest grandchild - on my mom's side the 2nd to youngest with another cousin the same age - they are boys. Did we have the adult table and the kid tables? I don't know? But I think I was forever at a table that was not in the dining room. I think I was a bit of a misfit among the cousins - being one of the youngest and the youngest girl by a few years I kind of tagged along with Ed. But I think I also hovered around the adults, prematurely stuffing myself with those appetizers. What I really wanted to stuff myself on was potatoes and gravy.

Good weather meant football outside in the street or even quick trips over to Santa Cruz. But I don't remember any tables ever being set up outside or chairs outside. We all sat down to a place setting inside except for the guys who wanted to watch TV while they ate.

After I headed to college I never had Thanksgiving at my house again. I don't know if the Sacramento group was still going. I have a feeling that they weren't. They were all hosting their own children and grandchildren and great grandchildren. But my parents were still hosting their family - their children and grandchildren. I think it became the gathering holiday because Christmas everyone spent at their own homes.

Greg and I have spent Thanksgiving all over - mostly in Tremonton and San Jose but also in Santa Rosa, Pleasanton and more recently Island Park Idaho. School being out, we have often taken the kids on little trips. We've spent time in Santa Cruz yet come back over the mountain to be with the San Jose crew. We've been to the Redwoods and had dinner in Santa Rosa. We once spent Thanksgiving at Clear Lake - jet skiing. That year we had dinner at an all you can eat Thanksgiving buffet at Konocti Harbor Inn. It was an interesting experience but the food was good.

The consistency of my parents' holiday traditions is hard to match (Christmas is a story as well). Do you think it is unique? I don't know. It's all I knew.

2 comments:

Sandy said...

May I add my memories. Alum Rock park. The uncles would take the kids to get them out of the house.
Mom's chocolate chip cookies. She would bake them in advance, put them in pie tins and freeze them. I would always sneak them out of the freezer one at a time when passing through the garage.
Shrimp coctail drink was part of the orsdeorves.

The Yuan Fam said...

I love reading this kind of stuff. And the way you did it, I felt like I was there!! Thanks for the memories! Hopefully my kids will have fun memories like these.