OK - I was watching the Star Trek Next Generation episode called Conundrum - beginning of the episode something scans the entire ship and everyone loses their memory of who they are and with that what their responsibilities are. But they don't lose their individual strengths and tendencies nor their skills. Based on where they're located at the time of being scanned, and to some extent what they're wearing they begin to figure things out.
So - if the world had been scanned today, would you have been able to figure out what your part is in your life?
I was thinking with families, families with small children, it would be easier to figure things out - maybe. But what about your work place? What if you'd been working out? Or at the grocery store? Or anywhere besides your home? What if you'd been at church? Would you be able to figure out your calling based on your strengths and general tendencies, or your talents and skills?
While watching, I kept thinking of a scenario a professor shared once. An alien, who knows nothing about our world, landed on the top of the Kimball Building (the tallest building on BYU campus - at least it was in '83) and watched students come and go from their buildings over along period of time. The alien observes that over the span of a few years, many of the students who were once entering other buildings start entering the McKay building - the college of education.
I wish I could remember what the class was. It was some education based class. And so strange how things affect us, that the point really struck me and I've thought of the scenario many many times since. I haven't just thought about the people choosing education side of it but just the idea of some alien observing. Someone who knows nothing about me, observing me for an extended period of time. What would they conclude about me based on their observations?
Just things to think about.
No comments:
Post a Comment